Tethered Car Tracks
One of the very earliest projects that OTW undertook was to record the histories of as many British tethered car tracks as possible. Following the very first meeting on the factory rooftop in 1943 and the end of the second war two years later, there was a veritable explosion of car clubs and model engineering societies with car sections. With each of these came the desire and need for somewhere to run the cars. In the first instance, many of these were indoors, in garages, work’s canteens, halls and the like. The aptly named Pioneer Club, being the first, used to run in the Royal Horticultural Hall in Westminster, imagine getting permission to do that now? Although Gerry Buck was achieving phenomenal speeds on just 13ft of line the creation of full sized seventy-foot dia tracks soon followed, eventually over twenty around the country. Like with most of our other projects, we try to have the articles and records linked to existing photos, memorabilia and personal reminiscences, even to the extent of intending to visit sites of long gone tracks wherever possible. In all this we failed almost completely as the information just did not materialize. Over the years though, some material has trickled in so that we can now put together what we do have, along with what we have gleaned along the way, including the few locations it has been possible to ascertain.
John Oliver was one of the founder members of the Nottingham Club in April 48, along with George Brough of motorcycle fame as President. Initially the club ran on an indoor track before the creation of the full sized, 70 ft diameter track at Bassingfield.Built on farmland to the south of Tollerton airfield and adjoining Bassingfield Lane at Gamston, just to the east of the City on the A52. This was one of the later tracks to be laid down as it was not finished until 1951. The tethered car movement had, by this time, become totally dominated by out-right speed and the track hosted virtually all of the top competitors of the period. Oliver cars and engines were being built nearby in Nottingham and the 1.5cc and 2.5cc Tiger engine units were almost universal in the smallest two classes. Very few tracks were still in operation at this time and so national and regional competitions held there would see the very fastest cars in action.
Sometime during late 1953 or early in 54 Roger Alton, who lived nearby in West Bridgford, visited the track with his Contax camera and recorded the images reproduced below. Unfortunately the specialist magazines had all ended publication by 1952 and so it has been impossible to identify all the individuals or cars pictured. However these represent an excellent example of track activities and methods of operating cars at that time.
Centre, a bobtail ZN
car with 5cc ETA engine. Right, ZN spur drive car with ETA motor.
Both cars have soft 'flinging' Grenwyn tyres
Jack Parker's ETA
powered cars with the now universal 'pan handles' rather than wire
bridles. Both cars rigged to run 'wrong way round'.
|The last of Ian
Moore's competition cars, #14 with 10cc
Dooling motor. European record holder at 194 kph.
Sold to Philip Rochat in Switzerland at the end of 54 season.
the lid of purpose built 'pit box' Cables, fuel tins, dial gauge
and spare tyres in evidence. Upper space usually held the 5cc
'Moore Special'. Sadly, the box was destroyed quite recently.
starters, just an upturned bicycle wheel to start
battery attached by cable, push stick ready.
Many thanks to Roger Alton for these evocative pictures
The Sunderland Model Car Club was inaugurated early in 1948 by Capt Hindmarsh and some friends. Initially they ran cars in the premises of Young’s Motors, Hindmarsh’s company, situated along Roker Avenue. There was also the North East Model Car Club that ran cars in the premises of Westools. It is assumed that at some stage these two clubs combined. We are lucky that Sunderland is the only British track where full details of the origins, planning, design, tendering, construction and costings were published. It is also one of only two tracks in this country that we know of where evidence of their existence still remains on the ground.
|Park gate||Track and safety fence||Ivy and Ian Moore with record breaking cars||Pit benches|
The Club was unable to realise their original plans to add a track to the hydro and model railway facilities already established in Roker Park Sunderland by concerns about noise. After a great deal of negotiation, a site was eventually found in Barley Mow Park off the Ryhope Road that would allow for a full sized track. Following extensive planning and a decision to contract out the work the go-ahead was received on the 23rd June, cement was being poured on the 30th and cars running on Saturday the 2nd July, an amazing record. The track was situated in front of the Civil Defence buildings, whilst the pits seemed to be comprised of boards laid on sewer pipes. The track hosted many national and area championships and was home to two of the most successful British Competitors, Ken Proctor and Jack Cook who won four European Championships between them in the 1950s.
|1990s||Ten or more years later, still in evidence|
The site and huts that later served as a children’s nursery are now derelict, but much of the track is still visible on the ground and can be clearly seen on satellite photos. The track and buildings were both in a very sorry state when we visited. A very full description of the entire planning and construction of the track was published in Model Cars in September 1950.
Derby Model Racing Club
The Club was formed on January 1st 1948 with a 70ft track between Raynesway and Derby Road. The Club hosted a number of National meetings including the National Speed Trials and area eliminators. The principle event for the Club was their Open day with the Rolls Royce Trophy for the 10cc open Class, the Walker Trophy for 5cc Open Class and the Chaddesden Supporters Shield for the 2.5s. No less than 55 cars were entered in 1950, although only five from the home club. Gerry Buck set a new British record on the track in 1950.
According to contemporary reports, the track was lost in 1951 to the A5111 road widening scheme, although there is the suggestion that complaints of noise from houses nearby may have contributed. Derby was the home club of Ian Moore who served as secretary for a while and his wife Ivy, a renowned competitor in her own right and Ernest Jackson, who was MCA Secretary for a while. Ian and Ivy Moore.
The track was still in existence in the early 60s on this map. The site now occupied by a nursing home
These photos of a club exhibition were obtained recently and show a number of recognisable models including Ian Moore's scale MG
|Dooling F. Ian Moore's MG.||Unknown hydros. M&E Special. Austin GP. ERA|
Tethered Car Tracks
Blackpool and Fylde Model Car Club formed late 1948. Track at Castle Gardens Hotel, Carleton Blackpool, later at Stanley Park aerodrome
Bolton Society 17th July 48 70ft track at Leverhulme Park, Darcey Lever. Track also used by Altrincham Club.
Bradford and District MCC 3rd April 48 Track at Yeadon Airfield. Lt Col Goldie Gardner President
Bristol and West Underground track beneath a Gymnasium in Bristol. Later in a private garden at Downend
Birmingham MCC. Track at Pinly, Clavesdon. Amalgamated with Worcester Club in 1952, taking over G.I. Hastings’ private track at Ambrose farm, St James’ Worcester.
British Model Car Club Formed 1946 based at Eaton Bray with 72ft track. Closed in 1951
Chatham Aug 47 Track at Rochester Casino
Chiltern Model Car Club Opened track at Woodside Farm, Slip End Village, Caddington Common Luton on Easter Monday 1949. Only British track to host a European Championship 1954.
Cleethorpes ‘Model Drome’
Edmonton Club. Track behind Cart Overthrown Pub on Picketts Lock Lane Edmonton.
Guiseley Track off Moor Lane heading out of Guiseley.
Handley Page MES Nov 47 Cool Oak Lane Hendon
Harrogate Aug 49
Hooton Model Car Club
Leicester Mini Car Club. 48 Batchelor and Bowles garage and Staughton aerodrome. Bob Gerard.
Malden and District SME 72ft track off Old Claygate Lane Thames Ditton
Meteor Club. Rist's Cables canteen.
Mote Park Maidstone
North Wilts 1948, Private track at Steels Garage Swindon subsidence problems.
Ossett and District Miniature Car Club. Opened in June 49 by Speedway star, Eric Langton.
Pioneer Model Racing Car Club 1946. Indoor track at Horticultural Hall Westminster, largely dormant by 1951
Surrey Model Car Club 1947 Track on tennis courts at Christmaspie, Normandy Surrey, then Chertsey
France. Three tracks existed in France during the modern era, sadly, all three are now defunct.
Lyon. Couzon au Mont d'Or
|Lyon, Couzon au Mont d'Or EM 1979||George Fausch||Rossi possibly?|
|Track in 2005||Otto Stroebel opening the EC||Pit area|
The Lyon track at Couzon au Mont d'Or hosted the World Championship in 1995 and five European Championships from 1974 to 2005 until subsidence and vandalism caused it to close just a few years ago.
Perched on the cliff top overlooking the town of Dieppe, the track featured twin circles for the smaller and larger classes. Its position right beside a main road and with housing immediately opposite was hardly ideal, finally being closed around forty years ago. It hosted the European Championships in 1968, before horsing aprons came into use. The track remained until the car park it occupied was extended just a few years ago. Severe cliff falls are putting the nearby houses and site in peril, so a last series of photos before it was dug up.
|Still on IGN map||School stadium in background||Car park and roadside location|
|Double track, no apron||Horsing circle||Pylon plug still in place|
Thanks to Phil Abott and his family we have this aerial photo of the track. To the left of the track is the Rue de Pourville before any houses were built along that stretch and in the foreground, the municipal campsite that was still in existence into the 90s, now a golf course. The cliff fall is now nearly back to the bend in the road.
the winners at the EC in 68.